This is a post I put together to show the ITS Tech Bar Students I work with how to quickly put a static page up on their domain. I am assuming almost no prior knowledge of HTML, CSS, or cPanel. The only thing you need ahead of time is a domain at Reclaim Hosting.
When we are finished you will have a page that looks like this: demo.jadin.me
First, we will make an index.html file. The simplest way to do this will be to use cPanel’s File Manager tool.
- Log in at reclaimhosting.com, click on cPanel, then the name of your domain.
- Click on
- Select the folder named public_html, if you want to put this page on your subdomain (ex: demo.jadin.me), click folder named after that subdomain instead.
- Name the file index.html (case matters!) and click Create New File
- Next, select the file and click
- Click Edit
- Paste the HTML below into your index.html file:
- Click Save Changes
- Click Close
- Go to your site and take a look!
We have the basic content there, but it should look a bit off if you compare it to my demo page at demo.jadin.me. It looks strange because it is missing style information, we can fix that by adding a main.css file!
- Go back to the cPanel file manager
- In the same folder where you have index.html, click
- Name the folder css (case matters!) and click Create New Folder
- Select the css folder you just created, and create a new file in this folder called main.css
- You should now have an index.html file, a css folder, and a main.css folder inside it:
├── css │ └── main.css └── index.html
- Edit main.css and paste the css below into the file:
- Click Save Changes and Close
- Check out your site again and see how it looks!